Sunday, May 22, 2011

365 Movies Day #54 "Stander"



Once upon a time, while stationed at FOB Salerno out in Afghanistan, on a trip to the bazaar, I found a copy of this cool little flick featuring Tom Jane who I had really dug in Punisher and Dreamcatcher. I bought that copy of "Stander" and added it to my list of cool Thomas Jane movies. Tonight was the second time I have met Tom in person and on this day he signed my copy of "Stander" that I picked up on that FOB back in 2006.

"Stander" tells the real life story of South African cop turned bank robber, Andre Stander. You've seen it done a million times in movies...cop turned criminal, but this being a good adaptation of an interesting real life story makes it fascinating. Definitely one of Jane's best performances. The film also features David O'Hara, who I previously praised for his stunning performance in "Darfur" and the lovely Deborah Kara Unger.

Interestingly, the director, Bronwen Hughes has also worked with Jane on his hit series "Hung" on HBO and she is also responsible for one of Ben Affleck's better films in "Forces of Nature".

For those of you who are unaware Tom is also in the comic book business and he and my buddy Tim Bradstreet have worked with some wonderful folks like Steve Niles, Todd Farmer, Bernie Wrightson and many others to give us "Bad Planet" and "Alien Pig Farm 3000". Check out their website for RAW STUDIOS!

STANDER ON IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment