Wednesday, April 6, 2011

365 Movies Day #3 "Dark Country"



Here is a surprise flick that leaped out and bit me. I was in New Mexico trying to get a break on a film when I heard this little flick called "Dark Country" was rolling into the ABQ area. A little more research turned up two names. One was illustrator Tim Bradstreet, whose work was such an inspiration back in my Vampire: The Masquerade days (not to mention Shadowrun and his work on comics like The Punisher) and Thomas Jane, who will always be FRANK CASTLE in my eyes. It was through this film that I found out about Tim and Tom's comic book/film endeavor RAW Studios. These guys rock and "Dark Country was their first flick out of the gate.

Turns out there were only a few speaking roles in the flick. Ron Pearlman and Chris Browning (see my latest blog with input from Mr. Browning by clicking his name) beat me out for a chance at the gig. But, hey, I got to meet and hang out with both cats because of all this and plan to do so again in late May at the Dallas Comicon.

Anyway, I picked the movie up first thing when it hit DVD...and let me tell you I was a bit worried I wouldn't dig it. For one, it had a very limited theatrical release (but I like plenty of films that fit this category) and second, it was filmed in 3D...at the beginning of the craze...and because it was on DVD I was going to lose the 3D effect. But, I love these guys so I bought it.

It's a fantastic Hitchcock journey through a desert of despair and mayhem. I don't usually watch a film more than once, with so many out there to enjoy. This is one of about 10 or so that I watch over and over. Every time I find something new and different. It nags at me in the back of my mind as I type this that I need to see it again. If you like old school horror, beautiful cinematography and a little film noir feel, you NEED to see this film.

DARK COUNTRY ON IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment