Thursday, June 9, 2011

365 Movies Day #72 "Hardware"



So I was around 12 years old and my sisters and I would sleep downstairs in our house on weekends and during the summer so we could watch cable TV all night. Comedy Central was just starting out and had like 8 shows in total, Liquid Television graced MTV and HBO was a source of constant corruption with shows like Real Sex and HBO's Thursday Night Prime films like "Maniac Cop" or a number of films featuring Michael Pare or Eric Roberts.

One early morning around 2AM, a little flick called "Hardware" came on and was forever etched into my memory as one of the creepiest, trippiest films I would ever see. Tonight was the first time I have seen the film since. Some of the scenes were so vividly in my brain in a way that barely any film has stuck with me without repeat viewing. The movie features Stacey Davis long before "Desperate Housewives" and Dylan McDermott long before "The Practice". It's also a fairly early film for the Weinsteins as producers. Iggy Pop's voice also makes an appearance.

The film is set in a nasty post-apocalyptic future. Mo (McDermott) is a scavenger out in the wastelands. In his travels he discovers the discarded head of what's believed to be a maintenance droid. Thinking it will make a great present for his artist girlfriend (Davis), he snags it up. Turns out the head belongs to a rather destructive force that has a tendency to rebuild itself. What follows is a psychedelic excursion into sex, violence and weirdness and the epitome of all that is cyberpunk goodness.

The film is just as crazy as I remember it and I can definitely understand why it messed with my head so much back then. If you're into dark, gritty cyberpunk craziness, this is definitely the film for you.

HARDWARE ON IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment