Saturday, June 4, 2011

365 Movies Day #67 "Kung Pow! Enter the Fist"



You can call me Betty. Without a doubt, one of the funniest and most creative comedies I have ever seen. When I first saw the trailer and box art, I was skeptical, but after having several people recommend it, I finally caved. So glad I did.

For the film Steve Oedekerk, basically takes footage from an old kung fu flick (Hu hao shuang xing (1976)) and using green screen technology, creative editing and digital effects, places new actors in the film to create an entirely different movie.

Reading the trivia on imdb for the film is like a how to for guerrilla filmmaking. Oedekerk did all the voices but one (Whoa). He filmed a scene in his backyard with a lamp for lighting and a hairdryer to simulate wind. For the bad dubbing effect, the replacement actors all read from a nonsense script having no relation to the dialogue later dubbed.

Oedekerk wrote, directed, starred in and did all the visual effects and even the soundtrack for the film. Probably the most creative no budget film ever made and it is a hilarious parody you won't want to miss.

KUNG POW! ENTER THE FIST ON IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment