Friday, July 1, 2011

365 Movies Day #94 "Mesrine: Killer Instinct"



I've only seen the first part and it will take me a few days to get to the second so I imagine it will help kick off the next 100 posts, but this is one badass French mobster flick. Based on the true story of one of the most notorious gangsters ever, Jacques Mesrine who is flawlessly portrayed by Vincent Cassel. We talked about Cassel a bit back when I posted about "THE BIRTHDAY GIRL". He caught a little press recently for his role in "Black Swan" (which I still haven't seen), rocked the house in "Eastern Promises" (which you will be hearing about later), was the most memorable thing about "Oceans 12" and "Oceans 13" and a few other flicks I may be addressing later as well. He's amazing...and was born to play Gambit in an XMen movie. Someone has to make that happen! Beside Cassel, Gerard Depardieu is another favorite French actor among Americans who rather convincingly plays a vicious mob boss in the film. A great cast of supporting actors accompany.

At least as good as any other mob biopic I've seen, it's got action, drama, heartache, love and the strength of a semblance of truth. There are definitely a couple of "Holy Crap!" moments. I owe seeing this film to a couple of new friends I met while shooting an action short called "Against the Wall" a few days back in Orlando. David Adda and Andrew Roth (both supercool cats) got to talking about the film when Cassel's name came up and I took note. Glad I payed attention and thanks guys!

For more info on the real Jacques Mesrine go HERE!

MESRINE: KILLER INSTINCT ON IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment